History of The New Era Dental Society
The New Era Dental Society is one of the youngest affiliates of the National Dental Association having been established as a result of the Odonto Chirurgical and William A. Jackson Dental Societies in 1971.
The William A. Jackson Dental Society was founded in 1908 and named after the first man of color to practice in Philadelphia. It's active history spanned some 62 years, disbanding in 1970 with the formation of the New Era Dental Society. Members of the Jackson Society maintained a dental clinic at Mercy Hospital and were very active in the dental program at Mercy Douglas Hospital.
|Honoring Past Presidents of The New Era Dental Society|
|DR. WALTER R. EDMUNDS
FIRST PAST PRESIDENT
|DR. BENJAMIN NERO
SECOND PAST PRESIDENT
|DR. PERRY C. FENNELL, JR.
THIRD PAST PRESIDENT
|Produced by Spectrum MediaPro Production|
The mission of New Era Dental Society is to:
- Promote awareness of dental needs in the African American community and to provide assistance to those in need of dental care
- Provide positive role models to our community
- Provide financial assistants to dental students, dental hygienists, and dental assistance matriculating in dental medicine
- Promote camaraderie among it's members
- Empower the membership by increasing the knowledge base through effective continuing education